Saturday, May 05, 2007

Thank You Vinny


Over the years consulting has given me the opportunity to meet many people. Some of them are quickly forgotten when you leave an engagement, but some of them will stay with you forever. Occasionally you bond so well during the engagement that the client staff throws you a going away party and even a gift.

I recently had the pleasure and honor to work with a group in a small community hospital in Northern New Jersey. I do believe we bonded well, though any thoughts of gathering prior to my departure were dashed by the suddenness the engagement ended (we hired the right permanent guy).

At the end of the new permanent Director’s first week I came in for one day to go over my report and tie up any loose ends. That’s when I had one of the proudest moments of my career.

Mr. Vincent Walker, Vinny, is a retired NYC police officer and pistol instructor at the NYC Police Academy. He is also the Storeroom / Receiving Coordinator for the client. While I worked there he and I had several good discussions about New York, small arms, retirement, etc. I knew Vinny and I liked each other, but what he did on this last day surprised a man who thought he could no longer be surprised. Vinny presented me with arm patches for the NYC Police and a Small Arms Instructor patch as a parting gift. Words cannot describe how this made me feel. After leaving the client I literally pulled over a couple of miles down the road and got choked up – the eyes were a little misty.

I know what these patches mean to Vinny and I recognize the enormity of the gift.

Vinny, all I can say is thank you and God bless you – and of the men and women who have ever worn these patches. They are being placed in a glass covered shadowbox in my home office where they will be treasured forever.

No comments: