Saturday, May 02, 2009

Greetings from Charlotte




The 94th annual International Supply Management Conference officially kicks off tomorrow, Sunday, May 3 at 9:00 a.m. Some of us have already been here for over 2 days. Why? To finally attend the official ISM CPSM T3 course (Train-The-Trainer). This is a course that I have tried to attend ever since last year’s gathering in St. Louis, where I registered too late and the course was full. Since then it seemed that celestial powers were keeping me from attending another. Client needs and really poor air service (from a carrier to remain un-named) were all too coincidental to be called coincidental. At last perseverance won out. But at what price now? Missing my grandson’s Bris for one. Malcolm forgive me, please. I am with you in spirit. And, if you ever want to earn a CPSM gramps can help. Fairly soon SSCM5 Inc. will be offering CPSM review courses. I’m in the T3 Network. (Footnote: there is a lot more than meets the eye in preparing a CPSM review course).

Some of the other participants were intimidating. Only a few of us actually have the CPSM credential. But most of these guys (and gals) are top class educators who plan to take this coursework out to America’s colleges and industrial training centers. While they lacked the full technical knowledge of the CPSM credential they taught me more about teaching in 2 days than I thought there was to know in total. For that I am grateful. And, oh yeah, they were comfortable with discussions on Porter's Five Forces and Supplier Risk Matrices. So they aren't that far off the technical side.


The best part of being early, besides having no lines at registration, is hitting the ISM Bookstore first, i.e. all titles are in stock. Every year at this conference I manage to drop $200 or so on some of the best new titles in supply chain and/or negotiations theory. This year is no exception. I obtained a copy of the CPSM Diagnostic Kit ($79). I intend to review this to determine if I’ll recommend it to my students. The second title is an autographed copy of “Straight to The Bottom Line – An Executive Roadmap to World Class Supply Management” ($35). The title, and a skim of the contents, gives the appearance that this may help provide rationale to hesitant members of the C suite. Last I got one of those pickups entitled “101 Winning Tactics. Everyone Negotiates” ($25). This last one is because I’m a sucker for negotiation books. I think I’m closing in on having the world’s largest collection of books and CDs on negotiations and marketing. Pretty soon I intend to read/listen to them all.

Charlotte is a pleasant city with the requisite number of chain restaurants and more than it’s share of one of a kinds. If you’re coming to Charlotte you should try Mert’s Heart and Soul. Located at 214 N. College St. this small casual cafe has the kind of fare that truly can be described as soul food. The menu includes fried catfish, chicken, and ribs, not to mention a host of other comfort foods. I had beef ribs, greens, mac and cheese with hot corn bread and a soft drink. The tab came to $12.95 before tip. The waiter scolded me for not saving room for the peach cobbler. I tipped him well, and advised him I will be back. Some days supply chain ain’t so tough.

No comments: